Electrical Safety Tips for Your Home

Posted on: 13 October 2020

If something is an everyday occurrence, it's easy to be casual about it. However, in the case of electricity, that can prove dangerous and possibly even fatal. That's why a regular electricity inspection is a prudent investment in both yours and your family's safety as well as your property. Additionally, remember to give electricity the respect it deserves and follow these essential safety tips. 

Water Danger

The problem with water is that it's an excellent conductor of electricity — thus, the two elements should be kept well away from each other. Make sure not to touch light and outlet switches with wet hands. Also, keep electrical appliances such as hairdryers away from water to prevent the water from transmitting live current. You'll notice in your bathroom that outlets are higher up on the wall than in other rooms to minimise chances of them getting wet. In kitchens also, they're typically well away from the sink.

Metal and Electricity

Metal is another substance that conducts electricity. That's why you should never stick a knife in a toaster to carve out stuck pieces of toast. If the electricity travels up the blade to your hand, you'll suffer a shock and possibly worse. Hopefully, however, if your safety switch is operating correctly, it will instantaneously cut off the power before you suffer injury. The safety switch measures the in- and out-going currents, and if some electricity goes astray, this safety mechanism can recognise the discrepancy.

Outlets and Children

Children are curious little creatures, and they thus find the holes in outlets fascinating enough to stick their fingers or other objects inside. You can keep them safe and out of harm's way by covering the outlets with plastic covers. 

Appliance Cords

The cords on your appliances carry live electrical current through the cable so that you can use the hairdryer, for example. Because using devices is such as everyday occurrence, you can forget that potentially lethal electricity is running nearby your hands. You're only protected as the live wires are encased in insulating materials. Thus, frayed cords are dangerous. Replace or repair any old cords you have lying around the house. Also, when you unplug an appliance, pull it out by the plug rather than the cable itself to avoid causing damage. Otherwise, you could suffer an electric shock next time you connect it to the power source.

By following these safety tips, you'll minimise any chances of injury or electrocution. To keep the safety switch and wiring in perfect shape, book an electrician to review the system.