Posted on: 27 October 2016
Moving into an older home does not automatically mean that you will have to contend with outdated wiring. Nevertheless, it is crucial to keep in mind that faulty wiring is one of the main causes of residential electrical fires. Moreover, some insurance companies may decline to provide you with residential insurance if your electrical wiring is considered ancient. Therefore, it would be in your best interests to hire electrical services to conduct an electrical inspection of your property. The following are some of the warnings signs you should be wary of outdated electrical wiring to prevent unnecessary appliance repairs.
Discoloured electrical outlets
One of the first signs that you could look out for that would indicate outdated wiring is discoloured outlets. The primary cause of this discolouring is scorching. Outlets that are scorched are telltale signs that there has been some sparking in that outlet and the wiring will have to be replaced. However, discoloration can vary in severity. Some outlets may appear pale yellow and homeowners may make the assumption that the outlets are simply old. On the other hand, the outlets can show signs of being burnt black and this would require immediate attention. No matter the colouring of the sockets, it would be in your best interests to seek electrical services. Keep in mind that faulty wiring does not only pose the risk of an electrical fire but it could also lead to the shorting of your electrical appliances.
Frayed electrical wires
Another thing to look out for in your home is any exposed wires that are showing signs of fraying. Fraying can happen due to an array of reasons. The most common are if the wires are old, which lead to the insulation layer cracking and chipping. This, in turn, exposes the wires and can pose the risk of electrocution. Other reasons why your electrical wiring may become frayed is due to corrosion, exposure to heat, being pierced by nails and more. If you spot any frayed wires, it is best to seek electrical services. The contractors can then determine whether they will re-insulate the wiring or choose to replace it altogether.
Loose electrical connections
In older homes, it is not surprising to find some switches, outlets and other electrical connections have come loose over time. A misconception some people have is that this is simply unsightly and does not pose any potential risks. The truth is the loosened outlets make it easy for children to tamper with the wiring behind the plates, and this can be hazardous. Any loose plates should be adjusted by electrical contracts and any broken or chipped switch plates should be replaced posthaste.Share